Header Ads

Bertrand Traore scores stunning goal in Carabao Cup victory

It was a finish straight out of the top drawer as debutant Bertrand Traore caressed home a stunning strike to help Villa advance through to the last-16 of the Carabao Cup.

The magical moment occurred just 14 minutes in with Villa already a goal up thanks to Anwar El Ghazi. Traore, a £19 million capture from Lyon, was picked out beautifully by the ever-impressive Jacob Ramsey before finishing first-time with his weaker right foot. Bristol City goalkeeper Max O'Leary was buried and had no chance as the ball arrowed into the top corner.

Traore started on Villa's right and he had a hand in the opening goal, moving inside to allow Keinan Davis to take up a right-wing position. There, the 22-year-old striker dribbled past Tommy Rowe, left him for dead, and picked out El Ghazi who tapped home from all of six yards.

Dean Smith, meanwhile, named an entirely different XI to the one that beat Sheffield United on Monday night and started Ahmed Elmohamady in a centre-back position alongside Kortney Hause.

Not that it mattered as Villa were dominant throughout against a Bristol City side who had won their first four games prior to this one.

Villa, though, bossed proceedings throughout and should have gone 3-0 up midway through the first half after referee James Linington missed a stonewall penalty on Ramsey. It was El Ghazi's ball across the six-yard box - only for City centre-back to tug the 19-year-old back, stopping the Great Barr kid from scoring what would have been his first senior Villa goal.

As for Bristol, their best chance came from Famara Diedhiou who spooned his header when well-placed after misjudging Niclas Eliasson's cross.

As far as the second half was concerned, Villa didn't have to get out second gear and cruised to victory. El Ghazi kept probing but each of his shots flew high and wide past O'Leary's goal. The Dutchman did have a hand in Villa's third, though, when he released substitute Trezeguet. The Egyptian's cross-come-shot found fellow sub Ollie Watkins like a magnet who gobbled up a chance from six yards for his second goal in as many games in the Carabao Cup.

Watkins had a decent penalty shout waved away late on when he went through - only for Zak Vyner to shove him in the back as referee Linington waved play on.

All in all it was a professional performance by Smith's men who'll play Stoke City next for a place in the quarter-finals. Up next, though, it's back to Premier League matters with a trip to Fulham on Monday.

No comments