Header Ads

Pandemonium As Anti-Lockdown Protesters Clash With Police Officers In London

Anti-lockdown and Million Mask March protestors have clashed with police in London over the new coronavirus restrictions.

Officers were called to Trafalgar Square, London, earlier this evening during a protest against the second national lockdown as well as the law around wearing masks. 

Officers policing demonstrations in the capital on Thursday made 104 arrests with the majority of arrests were for breaches of the Covid-19 regulations. 

The Metropolitan Police has since condemned the group's action in a tweet that read: 'A small group have gathered in #TrafalgarSquare to protest tonight.

'Officers are talking with those there and directing them to go home. If they do not, officers will take enforcement action. 

'We remain in a national health crisis and new heightened restrictions have been brought in to limit the spread of Coronavirus. 

'This action is being taken to keep everyone safe. A policing plan will remain in place throughout the night.'    

It later issued an update that the protestors had started to make their way through the capital as they continued to ignore officer demands. 

The force said: 'A large crowd of protesters are at Oxford Street and continue to gather.

'Arrests have been made as demonstrators failed to comply with the directions of officers.

'We continue to urge people to go home. We remain in a health crisis.' 

Commander Jane Connors, who is leading today's operation, said: 'Our main priority this evening has been to keep Londoners safe. We are eight months into this national pandemic and frankly there can be no excuse for people to dangerously breach regulations which are there to prevent further spread of Coronavirus.

'Tonight, a crowd of people chose to ignore the new regulations, to behave irresponsibly and meet in a dangerous manner. More than 100 of these people have now been arrested and will have to face the consequences of their actions.

'We expect the number of arrests to increase as our policing operation continues into the night. I would continue to urge people across the city to keep yourselves safe and stick to the regulations.'

England today entered its second national coronavirus lockdown which is due to last until December 2. 

No comments